Beginning Touring/Sea Kayak (SK1) Description
The perfect kayaking introduction for recreational or sea kayakers, we will guide you through the skills and safety that you will need to become a proficient kayaker. The class includes an introduction to the kayak, launching, and an overview of basic strokes. Combine this class with the Intermediate Touring class for a complete weekend! (ACA Level 2). Prerequisites: None. Trip Length: 1 day. Meeting time: 8:30 am. Dates: See Calendar. Cost: $75.
This is intended as a checklist for all the classes; however there may be specific changes to a class, please keep in touch!
Trip Date: Mostly Saturdays, please check the calendar.
Time: Please be prompt and ready to go at 8:30 am
Location: Thermalito North Forebay – Boat Launch. (Just off Highway 70 930 Garden Drive, Oroville, CA 95966
http://www.forebayaquaticcenter.com/#home-cover . Let the people at the kiosk know that you are there for a class and pickup the placard at the Aquatic Center.
What to bring: We can supply paddling equipment such as boats, paddles, and splash jackets (here’s an expedition list 🙂
- Please bring clothing layers appropriate for your comfort, weather, and water conditions:
- Inner layer (or rash guard) that dries fast and keeps you warm when wet (synthetic fabrics, such as polypropylene, polyester, fleece, or wool, no cotton! ). This can be a long sleeve T-shirt, shorts, and bathing suit, warm hat, and water shoes or booties.
- Insulation layer (depends on class, season, and condition, usually optional for beginner classes): wetsuit. Wetsuits and booties rentals are available at Adventure Outings (CSUC) for $8/day (417 Cherry Street, 530-898-5034).
- Wind and Water Protection: A splash layer such as nylon rain jacket, splash jacket or dry-top/bottoms.
- Hat (for the sun), Sunglasses (and something to attach them to you), Sunscreen/lip balm
- Dry clothes to change into.
- Food for lunch or snacks.
- Water bottle that can be clipped into a boat (or easily stashed).
Conditions: Paddling weather is any weather, and we paddle rain or shine. Only the most extreme weather may cancel. Check out the forecast here. Dress for the conditions.
If you have any questions or special needs, please contact us. See you on the water!