Intermediate Touring/Sea Kayaking (SK2) Description
We build on Beginning Touring skills and introduce more advanced techniques, such as bracing, edging, and especially rescues. This course is a prerequisite for more advanced tours and builds your confidence to take on new challenges. (ACA Level 3). Prerequisites: Beginner Touring class or previous paddling experience. Trip Length: 1 day. Meeting time: 8:30 am. Dates: See Calendar. Cost: $75.
This document provides a checklist and basic information for classes; however there may be specific changes to a class (time, location, etc.), please keep in touch!
Trip Date: Mostly Saturdays, please check the calendar.
Time: Please be prompt and ready to go at 8:30 am
Location (will vary on conditions!!!): alternatively we may meet at the west lot of the Chico Park and Ride. (check for meeting times). Options include:
Thermalito Afterbay – Larkin Road Car-Top Boat Launch, Oroville, CA 95966
Black Butte Reservoir, Glenn County.
Lake Oroville (levels) – Car-top Boat Launches:
- Dark to 847 ft.
- Nelson Bar to 854 ft.
- Canyon Stringtown to 869 ft.
- Vinton Gulch to 849 ft.
- Foreman Creek to 730 ft.
What to bring: We can supply paddling equipment such as boats, paddles, and splash jackets (here’s an expedition list 🙂
- Please bring clothing layers appropriate for your comfort, weather, and water conditions:
- Inner layer (or rash guard) that dries fast and keeps you warm when wet (synthetic fabrics, such as polypropylene, polyester, fleece, or wool, no cotton! ). This can be a long sleeve T-shirt, shorts, and bathing suit, warm hat, and water shoes or booties.
- Insulation layer (depends on class, season, and condition, usually optional for beginner classes): wetsuit. Wetsuits and booties rentals are available at Adventure Outings (CSUC) for $8/day (417 Cherry Street, 530-898-5034).
- Wind and Water Protection: A splash layer such as nylon rainjacket, splash jacket or dry-top/bottoms.
- Hat (for the sun), Sunglasses (and something to attach them to you), Sunscreen/lip balm
- Dry clothes to change into.
- Food for lunch or snacks.
- Water bottle that can be clipped into a boat (or easily stashed).
Conditions: Paddling weather is any weather, and we paddle rain or shine. Only the most extreme weather may cancel. Check out the forecast here. Dress for the conditions.
If you have any questions or special needs, please contact us. See you on the water